Welcome Lisa May Foundation Supporters
Surrey Heath Councillor and successful businessman John May raised his five adored children to live life to the full.
When one of his daughters, Nicola announced her intention to marry in Thailand, John and his youngest daughter Lisa accompanied her to celebrate the special event. After the wedding, Lisa decided to extend her stay on the island of Phi Phi and, tragically, became one of the thousands of victims who lost their lives in the tsunami that devastated Thailand on Boxing Day 2004.
In response to their sense of deep personal loss, the May family decided to celebrate Lisa’s memory by forming the Lisa May Foundation, to raise money to help victims of natural disasters. In 2010, as Mayor of Surrey Heath, John saw that local charities had a huge need for support and decided to re-launch the Foundation as an umbrella organization helping specific local charities, as well as continuing to raise funds for victims of natural disaster.
Between 2005 and 2009, over £80,000 was raised. This has paid for…
- 38 longboats in Thailand were purchased to get fishermen and ferrymen back to work, enabling them to restart their lives.
- 2 Physiotherapists provided vital support to victims to get them back into shape.
- 40 school uniforms were purchased to enable the children to return to school wearing their new uniforms with pride.
- Plastic tanks and purification tanks have provided much needed clean water in refugee camps.
- In Brazil we have been able to help fund a home to keep the children off the streets away from drugs.
- Donations have been made to relief workers in Burma and Haiti, principally by working with missionaries.
- Closer to home. Two Students in the UK have been given scholarships to university who might not have had the opportunity to further their education.
In 2010, as Mayor of Surrey Heath, John saw that local charities had a huge need for support and decided to re-launch the Foundation as an umbrella organisation helping specific local charities, as well as continuing to raise funds for victims of natural disaster.
Our work across the world continues ,we have provided, funds and immediate on the ground medical aid and supplies to the Philippines and most recently Nepal.
Our goal is to continue creating awareness and gathering support wherever we go. With your support we can keep overcoming the challenges facing us now and the future and continue to make a real positive impact to communities around the globe.
We specifically want to focus our efforts on improving the standard of healthcare and education in developing countries while also giving people the tools they need to overcome poverty and build better lives for themselves and their families.
We can’t do this alone. Without the help of our generous contributors and volunteers we would never have been able to achieve what we already have.
Together we can make a real difference to the lives of thousands of people all over the world.